Saturday, March 17, 2007

Today

I will respond to everyone on the last post this weekend, but today my favorite cousin arrives in Baghdad for his second tour in a war we do not understand and were coerced into fighting. I know that many of you are tired of hearing about this war from me, but I don't care. I have watched the number at the bottom of my posts rise daily over the past 5 years. I have lost friends. People close to me have been badly wounded. It is easy for you to pretend that nothing's happening because you are not effected daily. This war is not your life. It is something that's happening far, far away to people you don't know and certainly don't give a damn about. I understand that. I disagree with it. It infuriates me. But I also know that it is a simple case of "out of sight, out of mind". I don't know how to make you "see", and I consider that one of my greatest failures.

But none of that matters today. Today my baby cousin is being dropped into the "green" zone. All I ask is that he make it out unharmed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hopefully the anniversary of this war brings it to more people’s attention again. It's not getting any better over there and we have to leave. I hope your cousin remains safe and comes back home safe and sound.

United We Lay said...

Thanks. We're not leaving anytime soon, and his chances of coming home safely are not imporoving. I think people aren't up in arms about this war because of the numbers. The news isn't publishing the number of wounded, and they really should be. They are doing a huge disservice to our country.