Friday, December 01, 2006

How Far is Too Far

With a shortage of troops in Iraq, recruiters are becoming desperate. They are lying to students, encouraging students to lie to the government, and engaging in a vast array of inappropriate or illegal behavior. And we lie these people into our schools. How right is it for a recruiter to speak to an underage student without a parent being present? The allure of a uniform is sometimes overwhelming when it comes with the promise of money and college. Shouldn't a responsible adult advocate for the student be around to put those things into perspective? I have taught middle school and high school. I cringe when I see a recruiter. It terrifies me to think that they will be preying on younger students. I cannot abide by having any child I know spoken to by someone with an obvious agenda without a parent's permission or supervision. I wouldn't want a pastor speaking to my child without my permission, and chances are, a man of God isn't going to try and convince my child that getting shot at and possibly killed is a viable option for obtaining a college education. Schools have an obligation to protect our children when they can. In this case, they can.

No comments: